The Layton Marathon was yesterday and it actually turned out to be a lot of fun. These pictures are in reverse order.
The event started out on Friday evening. I was able to enjoy a nice dinner with Mom, Steve, the girls, and Keith at Olive Garden. Afterwards Keith dropped me off at my dads so I could spend the night there. Dad and I went to bed about 9pm and after not being able to fall asleep because I was too warm, I decided to open a window at about 10:30pm. I've been told it set the house alarm off. I wear ear plugs so I never actually heard it. After Dad and Jana ran around trying to figure out what set it off he came down and asked me if I had opened a window. Oops! Sorry to wake you Dad! I shortly fell asleep after that only to wake at about 4 am. UGH!
Dad and I left the house about 4:30 am and drove to Ellison Park in Layton. We caught the last bus and between the waiting and the driving we ended up at the starting line on Antelope Island probably about 5:45. After waiting in line for the bathroom and standing under a tent in the FREEZING cold we started shortly after 6:30am.
It was seriously so cold. Dad bought us cheap-o gloves, hats and sweatshirts to wear so we could just toss them when we got warm enough. We started out in pitch black darkness. We kept our warm attire on until mile 5 when we started to warm up a little bit. We tossed our gear but Dad kept his gloves. By mile 7 I was regretting tossing anything. I was a popsicle. Trying to squeeze the energy gel out of the little packets was a joke, my hands were so frozen. I think around mile 10 or 11 I was able to find two gloves on the ground discarded by a previous runner. I scooped them up and kept them on probably until mile 23. We reached the end of the causeway at about mile 17 (I think, maybe it was 16) and we were about 3 hours into the race. Keith met us there on his bike and was able to start getting some pictures of us. We were keeping a pace of about 11:00 minute miles and we finished the first half in 2:26. The second half warmed up a little and I think having Keith around pushed us a little harder. We finished the second half in 2:14 for total finish time of 4:40:33. Our average pace ended at about 10:40/mile
I finished 34th out of 104 registered females and 9th out of 21 registered females in my age group. I'm not even going to compare myself to the guys.






2 comments:
Congrats on finishing! That's a major accomplishment and we're so proud of you!
Congrats Sara!! You did it, and in such good time!
Post a Comment