Friday, December 2, 2011

Wind Storm 2011

Most of you who read this are very much aware of the massive wind storm that occurred on Thursday December 1st. This is our story.

We all went to bed Wednesday night as normal. It was windy but nothing we hadn't seen before. About 3:45 I woke to a very loud noise followed by Steve's and Mom's footsteps upstairs checking things out. Our power was out. I tried to sleep for a few more hours but the winds had started to pick up by that point. Outside the wind was howling and knocking things around pretty good and inside, any door to the outside was rattling.

With the power out, the girls sound machines obviously weren't on so I was concerned about how well they'd be able to sleep through the noise. Luckily Megan's room is somewhat in the middle of the house in the basement so she actually slept until about 7:30 (8-ish is normal). Kate unfortunately could hear the noise and became very scared of the winds and came into our bed about 6:15 am. We tried to console her and fall back asleep but it was so noisy it wasn't going to happen. We had flashlights and did shadow puppets for a bit but Kate wanted to go upstairs so at about 7 we headed up to have breakfast by candlelight. News reports said Bountiful winds got up to about 90 MPH. Poor Centerville got hit a little worse with winds I think around 102 MPH. We stayed safe in moms house and no major damage happened to their house our yard. The rain gutter had some damage and a tree in the back lost several branches but no trees fell over, no fences broken. Our neighbors across the street however lost a HUGE pine tree. Luckily it didn't land on anything, not even in the street...almost though! This picture is after they had already started to cut it down smaller.
At about 11 we were able to venture over to our twin home to survey the damage. Our renters were safe but they were also without power and we had lots of damage to our fences. The gate to the backyard was ripped off it's hinges.
The fence between us and our North neighbors blew over.
And we lost a tree that fell to the west over the back fence/gate and onto the walking trail.

After I took the girls over to the twin home we ventured over to Grandma Bonnie's and Grandpa Jim's. They actually had heat and power so we spent the rest of the day over there. The winds had died down by early Thursday afternoon but power remained out throughout the day and Thursday night. Kate and Megan spent Thursday night with Grandma Bonnie and Keith and I went back to my moms to endure the darkness and cold. Luckily the power came back on at some point during the night.

It's sad to drive through all of South Davis County and see all the damage. We were very blessed. I'm glad we are all safe and our homes only endured minor damage. I think I'd rather fix fences than a roof, siding, windows, etc.

3 comments:

Chris and Jamie said...

Totally nuts! I hope your homeowners insurance doesn't have a stipulation about renting the property, especially as it was a natural disaster. Xrazy to think that only 5 miles away, we had NO issues. One light flickered a few times, and our recycling container blew over, but that was it.

Anonymous said...

That is so crazy! I assume that all the damage is under homeowners insurance?

Sara Hadlow said...

Probably. Our deductible is $500 so if it costs less to fix everything there is no point in using insurance. Plus our neighbor to the North already contacted his insurance and they're most likely going to pay for the fence between us so that only leaves us to worry about the back. We'll see how it goes.