Saturday, July 25, 2009

beautiful boy by david sheff


While traveling I picked up this book in the Dallas airport. I had seen this man and his son on Oprah so I had the general idea of what the book was about. It's basically a memoir of this man's experience struggling with his sons (Nic) addictions to drugs, mainly meth. It's heart wrenching to see what loved ones of addicts go through but it's powerful to see the unconditional love a parent has for a child. I've only had a small glimpse into the world of drug addictions but it's horrific to know the things people do when involved with any sort of drug and all the damage and heartache it causes for them and their loved ones. A world without drugs would be a much more beautiful place. I pray with all my heart that my children and their children never get involved with such things. 


Nic Sheff has also written a book that I might read next.

2 comments:

Bonnie and Jim said...

I will have to remember this one for when I finish all the others on my waiting list. Substance abuse is so damaging. It affects generations to come. I too pray that you never have to deal with it.

Joyous Journal said...

Sara, I am very proud of all my children and that substance abuse of any form has not been a part of their lives. Your example has been noted and hopefully your children and others you come in contact with will follow you and Keith's example always.