Saturday, May 7, 2011

Thoughts on Motherhood

Tomorrow is Mother's Day. Over the last several years my thoughts on motherhood have changed drastically. There is a lot I can say but I don't want to ramble. I did not instantly fall in love with the role of motherhood. Honestly I think for the first two years I HATED the roll of motherhood. Without the constant help from family I may have been committed to an institution at some point. Over the last 6 months my attitude has changed, maybe it just took some time to adjust to all the changes becoming a parent throws at you. Over the last two and a half years I've learned more about myself than I think I figured out in the other 27 and a half years. I've learned what works for me and my children and family and I can honestly say I'm at a point where I love being able to stay home with my two beautiful girls. Even the thought of going back to work makes me cry so I hope I'm blessed to stay home as long as they need me. I do miss working outside the home still but I know this is much more important. I realize this time is precious and I do try to cherish the time I have with them. Even though there are many trials that come with parenthood these years will fly by. Someday (maybe not anytime soon) I'll miss having the living room be the constant chaotic play room and I'll miss having to push the girls in the stroller while I run instead of cursing the extra 50+ lbs I have to push that slows me down or limits my mileage. Someday I'll miss bedtime routines, middle of the night feedings, limits on my schedule and activities because of naps. So for now I will enjoy the time I have with the children Heavenly Father blessed me with. I know I won't be a mother of many on this earth. But I'm hoping I can be better than the kind of mother Heavenly Father expects me to be.

Becoming a mother also makes you realize that you are forever in the debt of your own parents for all they did and all they sacrificed for you. So thank to all the many wonderful parents out there. Birth, Step and In-laws - Keith and I wouldn't stay sane without you.

2 comments:

Bonnie and Jim said...

Those were beautiful thoughts Sara. You are a wonderful mother. Keith and the girls are very blessed to have you. Happy Mother's Day.

Joyous Journal said...

Why do you think I like to hang with you and your girls. I do miss the moments of kids under feet while cooking dinners, settling tiffs between sisters, and just holding children when there is a tear or two because of a skinned knee.

As anxious we are to get to the next stage in life, linger as long as you can because it can be gone before you blink.