
(Clair, Keith and Megan after Megan's baby blessing)
Last week we learned my dad's father, Clair (81), had a cancerous tumor on his thyroid. After a few days of testing they discovered it was Ana-plastic Carcinoma of the Thyroid. Surgery was not an option but it could be treated with chemotherapy and radiation. This cancer is terminal and the chemo and radiation would only delay the inevitable. My brave grandfather chose not to pursue treatment. Keith and I visited my Grandpa Clair and Grandma Ann in the hospital Friday night. He was in good spirits and was able to talk some. He's the only grandpa I have ever known. My mom's dad died when I was about 1 1/2 so I have no memories of him. I told my Grandpa Clair that he was the only Grandpa I have ever known and that I loved him and he said he loved me too. It was hard to leave him on Friday evening. He left the hospital Saturday to live out his remaining days at home with hospice care. The tumor is aggressive and growing fast. Right now there is quietness about our family as we wait for the inevitable to happen. After he left the hospital they removed his IV and feeding tube but they are making him comfortable. Even thought I know we will see each other again, it's hard to know that he won't be there at the next family party, or any more after that.
0 comments:
Post a Comment