Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sick kids

Is winter over yet? Kate was sick all week. She started out with a fever of 103 on Sunday and nasal congestion quickly followed. The fever lasted through Tuesday but the congestion is still here a little bit. After a few calls to the Dr. about the fever we were told we could just keep pumping her full of Tylenol to keep it at bay. I was glad when Wednesday came and I didn't have to keep drugging Kate. We were so worried that Megan would get sick and I thought we were in the clear until this morning. Megan hasn't shown signs of a fever yet and her temp has been normal but she sounds horrible. Lots of chest congestion and her cry has become so hoarse, it makes me so sad, I just want to cuddle her all day. She still slept great last night and she's been asleep a lot this morning so far. Hopefully she can rest a lot and this will pass quickly and won't become serious.

The pediatrician always recommends keeping our little ones home from church all winter, pretty much until March. It's a tough decision. Especially for Kate. She's in nursery and getting her out of the habit of going every week might set us back on the separation anxiety issue. It took us several weeks before she didn't cry when we left her, plus it's pretty much the only socializing she does with kids her age. But at the same time I hate when she's sick and I don't want Megan to get exposed because even if it's a simple cold for us or Kate, it can be serious for Megan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with keeping them home when they are sick and I can only hope other parents do that too, but you can't skip church just to protect your kids from getting sick. They need to be exposed to build up their immune system and Kate NEEDS the interaction with kids her age.

Bonnie and Jim said...

Listening to her try and cry broke my heart. She is so precious. I hope it passes quickly.