I must confess, I've never attended the General Relief Society Broadcast before. I don't know if I just didn't pay attention or I didn't care but it never really clicked in my head that this was basically the women's version of the Priesthood session of conference. I always just assumed it was some extra meeting that wasn't really that important. Generally we expect the men to attend the Priesthood session so this year I decided I should be expected to attend the Relief Society session. I'm so glad I went. I'll be honest, the older I get the more I question the church. Not so much, do I believe it's true or not but more, why do we do things this way instead of that way. Honestly, I think ever since we got pregnant I've been struggling spiritually. I think the physical trial of pregnancy gave my testimony a beating and I really need to try harder to build it back up. I'll admit, I almost never have formal prayers except for meals. I struggle so much with this concept. I say little prayers in my head or heart throughout the day but I rarely get down on my knees and have a conversation with Heavenly Father. I'm also much more inclined to thank him for this and that and end it there. I rarely ask for things anymore because I have gained the negative attitude that its pointless to ask. I just get these thoughts that are basically, "If God wanted to provide this or that to me he would, me asking isn't going to change his "plan" for me so what's the point of asking?" Like, is me asking really going to change what he was planning to do? I guess I don't know the answer to that. It feels like the answer is no. God is going to do what he already planned to do regardless of what we ask for. I just need to stop questioning everything the church does or doesn't do. I've decided that even though I may not agree with every little thing in the church there is no way I can deny the truth of the church. The spirit has testified way too many times that this is the true gospel. I know the basics and I cannot deny them. I know there is a Heavenly Father who loves us and knows us even if we don't feel like we know him. I know he has a son, Jesus Christ, who lived and died for us. I know Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and received inspiration and direction from them to restore the truth upon the earth. I know President Monson receives inspiration from Heavenly Father today. I also know Satan is real and he is out there and I do not like the way he makes me feel. I like the way I feel when I'm at church or in the temple or reading my scriptures or the ensign so I just have to forget about all the little details that distract me from that.
Monday, September 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
I went with the young women leaders. It was only my second time going. I feel you though. I question sometimes why do I keep asking for things when a lot has to do with other people's actions. But I know he answers. Just in the last year we've been blessed with so much that I can't deny His power behind it all. He just doesn't give me the answer I was expecting or in the time frame I want. I've learned to change my questions to what am I suppose to learn if it's not going to happen right now?
Sara, I wish I would have read this before Mallory left this morning. I have a book called "Drawing on the Powers of Heaven" that is an amazing (short) book about faith and prayer. Also, I'm sure you have, but read the Bible Dictionary entry on "Prayer."
I am far from perfect, but I struggled with this concept early on my mission and found some answers. Let me know if you want me to mail that book out to you.
We all struggle with our testimonies at different points in our lives, with different trials and even when everything's "right" in the world. That's why I loved the visiting teaching message last month (Sept). It was about living the basic truths of the gospel, without complicating them, and we will be happy.
Sara, we all struggle with at least one principle at one time or another for various reasons. Until we actually have the purpose presented to us in our own personal need we struggle until we have a testimony of the principle.
So pray for understanding and stay on your knees and listen for a moment. When you have trials in your life turn to prayer. You may not get the answer you are looking for, but you will find comfort if you are sincere. Some of your prayers must have been answered because you have a beautiful family with a happy daughter and a supportive husband who cares deeply for you. These blessings are answers to prayers, mine.
Post a Comment