Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I hate the mall.

I have to vent. Most of the time I try to stay positive about our current financial situation. I'm blessed to be able to stay home with Kate. Our needs are met. Keith earns what we need to pay all of our bills plus a few little splurges here and there. We have two cars that are paid off, a few months worth of savings in the bank, no debt (other than the house), our cupboards are full of food and we have multiple clothing options to keep us covered and warm everyday. Somedays though it would really just be nice to be able to go shopping at the mall and buy whatever clothes I wanted, or go out to dinner at an actual sit-down restaurant (subway doesn't count) and not base your ordering decision on price, or go to the movies at night instead of during the day just because it's cheaper.


Keith, Kate and I are going to have some pictures taken at the end of November. Partially for Kate's 1st birthday and partially for the holiday card we'll send out. We found Kate's sweater a few weeks ago and Keith and I have been searching for sweaters that go with hers. I found a few stores at the Gateway that had possible options for me. In the process of course Keith and I see tons of clothes we wish we could buy but sadly cannot afford. I hate to admit it but clothes can totally change how I feel. I love clothes. They totally can make me feel prettier or uglier. I found a couple of way super cute options at Express for $40 and found a pretty cute option at Old Navy for $20...so I opted to be frugal (again) and go with the less cuter option at Old Navy. I hate window shopping and I hate the mall, walking through all the stores just reminds me of what I can't afford. Maybe someday we'll have our disposable income back where my typical splurges won't just be buying Kate $7 pajamas at Walmart or me or Keith a $15 dollar running shirt at Target...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! I feel so uncute in what I wear every day because it's what we can afford. I'm so bored of t-shirt and v neck shirt.

Zack Family said...

Right there with ya sista!!

Cherice said...

I score at Marshalls with great deals. (It's like TJ Max but better) Try those kind of stores.....the money thing is a bugger sometimes.

Jana said...

I remember back when I worked at IHC in the Beneficial Towers right above the ZCMI mall, that was dangerous not bad when I was single but when I got married YIKES, I remember the first time I came home with a new shirt and I was told we couldn't afford it, thats when reality set in. I love Target, they have great shirts, good luck with your pictures.

Chris and Jamie said...

Walmart has really good prices on the workout clothes... I got a bunch of MW tanks for $6 and shorts for $13! I don't know about regular clothes there, but you can't beat those prices!!

I totally agree that what you wear can help shape how you feel (about yourself, and the world) but how important is that $100 jacket ---- that you probably won't even like next season???? I know you know that a happy, healthy family is worth it..... that's why it's called sacrifice right? Giving up something good for something WAY better!!

Joyous Journal said...

We all have or will experience your pain. and even if you can afford it ... like Jamie said it could be out of style next season. A splurge now and then is ok. that's why I think gift cards are good for birthday presents, then you could chose something what your taste is instead of your mom's!