Monday, February 1, 2010

Please and Thank You

I substituted a kindergarten class today and for the most part they were really well behaved children. However, one thing I've noticed during my time teaching primary as well as grade school is children no longer say please and thank you. They EXPECT snacks and treats and when they want more they say, "I need more." There is no, "May I have another one please?" I get a sense of entitlement from these children. One little girl stated that their teacher gives them a lemon head "because we got our paper" meaning, they were given an assignment to do, therefore they also need a treat. I'm all for rewarding children when they do good things but not to the point where it becomes the expectation. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do things without getting some kind of reward or prize. After several children begged for lemon heads or told me that they wanted one now, I told them if everyone stayed on task the whole day they would get one at the end of the day. As they walked out of the classroom to go home they each were allowed to take one and not a single child said thank you. Then in the afternoon class it was a little boys birthday and he brought cookies for everyone. As he was passing them out only one little boy said thank you. I know parenting is hard. Keith and I have only started the process but I hope I can be disciplined enough to teach my children the simple things in life that make this world a better place to live in. Manners, kindness, selflessness and concern for others still matters in this world. Others may not care but for me, please and thank you is a big deal.

4 comments:

Chris and Jamie said...

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!! I think it would be interesting to do a case study of how many ill mannered children become the bullies on the playground, the self centered teenager, and the bossy/manipulative adult. I'm proud of you for making it a point to (make a plan to) teach Kate to be a good citizen and a friendly person. You are both awesome parents!

Unknown said...

that's funny cuz all the kids (well all the girls) say thankyou at my school

Joyous Journal said...

I agree with Jamie, too many individuals I've dealt with have this expection of entilement instead of appreciation. However at my employement everyday I work there he and the aid always say "thank you for your help" at the end of the day. I feel like 'well that's my responsibility and job'. very different and it makes a nice atmosphere to work in

Bonnie and Jim said...

That is the most frustrating concept I deal with at work. Last year I began a project of manners in the office. I posted signs around the office entitled "Magic Word", "Thank You", and "Please". When they would ask for something without saying please I returned with "what's the magic word". It's helped a lot, but you have to keep on top of it or they slip. It's sad to me that our society has become so "ME" oriented. Where has all the respect gone?