Saturday, November 8, 2008

Proposition 8

I've been thinking about Proposition 8 a lot over the last few weeks. I've debated whether or not I wanted to post my viewpoint on it for the last several days and I've decided that I probably won't stop thinking about it until I do.

Let me preface by saying the below viewpoint is entirely mine. I'm not speaking on behalf of my family or friends or even my spouse. Though Keith and I have discussed this topic and I think I know his views, I haven't discussed this with anybody else so I'm unsure how all ya'll are going to react. I mean no offense and am not looking to debate or argue, I'm simply logging my feelings. Maybe one day I'll look back and wonder what the heck I was thinking.

I also want to state that I know the gospel of Jesus Christ is true. I've gained that knowledge. I believe the most true church on the earth today is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Therefore I know that the most "proper" (for lack of a better word) marriage is performed by an ordained sealer inside the holy walls of one of Lords Temples and is for time and all eternity. Though I have that knowledge I'm fully aware that many others in this world do not or care not to share this knowledge or belief - whatever you want to call it. I don't expect those who have a different knowledge or belief from me to live their life the exact same way I do.

I don't agree with the passing of proposition 8 and I don't agree with the church's involvement on the issue. I think the church and its members should not take a public stand on political issues. Individually of course everyone should be involved and participate in voting but as a whole, the church should remain neutral. I believe proposition 8 violates and takes away free agency. Maybe I don't understand why people feel proposition 8 is necessary. Is it simply to prohibit gay marriage because we view it as morally wrong? If that's the only reason, I don't think that's reason enough. From what I see we are trying to force people to share our views that marriage is between one man and one woman. I think the church and its members are taking the wrong approach to the issue. I started thinking more about this after a conversation I had with a family member where abortion came up. We both felt that abortion should be legalized. Though we believe its morally wrong, its better for a woman to safely have this performed than to find some illegal way to do it - which people would. Then again, if you think this act is morally wrong to begin with, you won't do it. Same as a homosexual lifestyle. If you think its morally wrong to begin with, you won't do it, therefore what does it matter if gay marriage is legal or not? The ensign had an article a few months ago that talked briefly about abortion. The article stated that as far as we know, a person can repent of abortion. I believe if a person chooses to convert to the gospel they can also repent of a homosexual lifestyle. If we want people to share our views we need to help the spirit convert them to the gospel, not force our beliefs and take away their rights. Once conversion takes places, they will most likely share the perspective that a homosexual lifestyle is morally wrong and they can repent and change - by their own free will and choice, not us forcing it to happen. There are many temptations in the world, it doesn't mean you have to act on them. I believe homosexuality is one of those temptations. Preventing people from marriage will not prevent them from living the lifestyle. I think we should shift our focus from taking away their rights to helping the spirit convert those around us and help them gain the knowledge we have. If that happens people would voluntarily share our view that marriage is between a man and woman and it won't matter if gay marriage is legal or not.

Mormons have been persecuted for our beliefs because people do not agree with our views. Rights were taken away from us and we were driven from our homes. Are we doing the same thing to others?

11 comments:

Chris and Jamie said...

I totally agree. My stance on ALL political crap is that you have to differentiate between your MORAL VIEWS and your POLITICAL VIEWS.
For instance, I believe that:
alcohol, drugs, abortion, homosexuality, polygamy, cursing, stealing, etc
are all morally wrong, but that doesn't stop people from doing it. Everyone has the GIFT of agency, and any group trying to force it's beliefs on another is trying to revoke that agency. That is morally wrong, regardless of which groups are involved.
Seriously people, can't we all just get along?!?!?!?

Cherice said...

Thanks for your thoughts Sara. I'm sure it was hard to write and not sure how people are going to react. I totally understand.
I do not take offence to what you have said. I can see your way of thinking.
Good for you for standing up for what you belive in. Your right...you do have your free angency to speak. Everyone in entitled to that.

Anonymous said...

This is all I will say because we have different views. I don't believe passing prop 8 is stopping gays, or that was the motive behind it but to allow gay marriage I believe would challenge the church and it's people, causing more destruction then what is already existing in the world. It's good that you have an opinion on something though, instead of going through life without paying attention to something that doesn't directly affect you.

Jana said...

Hi Sara, here in Arizona we passed prop. 102 which was also to ban gay marriage. There have been some people who have wondered the churches involvement. We had a Stake Conferences last week and Elder Packer talked about this to us in Arizona and he said that this is not a political issue it is a moral issue, he mentioned that if this was not to be stopped it would challenge that which we as members believe and that which we strive to live for. If gay marriage was legal then it would give them the right to teach this to our kids in school, they are already dealing with this in Massachusetts telling 2nd graders thats this is acceptable. I for one do not want that for my grandchildren. Everybody does have their agency to think how they want, especially you, but for me here in AZ im glad that prop. 102 passed.
Love ya,
Jana
p.s. can't wait to see that baby.

pirate ride said...

Wow, that is pretty amazing!! I think you are absolutely right! I think it's very open minded & I wish more people in this state felt like you do and weren't so judgemental about "others". Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Audra~

Unknown said...

I have to agree with you. I was watching elen(who of course is gay and married) and she was talking about how sad she was that it might pass (before the election). It was really crazy to see how she felt, to see it through a gay persons perspective. I got a sick feeling in my stomach because i knew that something was wrong with it. but then i also have to ask my self this....arent we supposed to follow the laws of the land? and what if something were to come up that was moraly wrong but it was still a law.....what would we do. thank you for writting about this.

Unknown said...

you might find these videos interesting http://www.preservingmarriage.org/videos.html

Chris and Jamie said...

It's good to see that you are able to look at issues from different perspectives. It's easy to pick a side without considering the counter argument or even what the argument is really about.

Honestly, it would be nice if we could meet somewhere in the middle on the issue. I feel that those of the gay community should have rights to some of the same legal freedoms that a man and wife do, such as visiting their partner in the hospital. However, the LDS church or any other church doesn't need to recognize the marriage. I think with this, there needs to be more separation from state and church.

-Chris

Tom Dearden said...

Proposition 8 was not just about allowing gay marriage or not. You should speak with your aunt Lisa to understand the scope of what was happening in California and what lead to the Church's support of the measure. It's a lot more complicated than it looks. For example, there was a very real possibility that without Proposition 8 California would have stopped recognizing any marriage by any religion that refused to perform gay marriages. That would have meant that LDS couples would have had to get a civil marriage prior to going the temple to be sealed. That's just one example... Lisa has many more examples.

Sara Hadlow said...

Dad - thank you.
That's what I need to know. If its more than just a morality issue I want to know what the other issues are. From what I catch on the news nobody mentions anything but a morality debate. Everybody says this will change our lives forever and I want to know how. If thats true that LDS couples would have to get married civily first than I suppport Proposition 8. If it's just "I think it's morally wrong" I still vote no and I support the whole "free agency", "love one another", "whom am I to judge another..." approach.

lisa said...

Sara: I started to leave a comment and it turned into a novel, so I sent you an e-mail instead. Your Dad is right, there's MUCH more to Prop 8. This is a good website: http://beetlebabee.wordpress.com/2008/10/26/why-preserve-man-woman-marriage/