Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Scared...

So yesterday I think it started to hit me and I'm getting a little scared. It might be slightly different than what other first time mothers go through. I'm not really scared about the, "oh my gosh I have a baby to take care of." Honestly I think I'll be able to figure it out fairly quickly. I read the "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and the "What to Expect the First Year" books every day - just ask Keith, he says I need a different book to read. :)

I'm more scared of how this is going to change who I am. I just got really nervous yesterday about the idea of quitting work and staying home. Who will I become if I don't work? So much of my life right now is centered around my work. Will I just become this house servant who cooks and cleans and takes care of a child all day? I feel like I'm totally losing a part of my identity. Will I be interesting or have anything worthwhile to talk about or will I only be able to talk about the new things that my baby is doing or how many poopy diapers I change a day? Will I become this one-dimensional character in my own little story of me?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your opinion will change once Kate comes.

Joyous Journal said...

You'll have to learn to be more social with other mom's and get Kate to social a bit. You will figure this out too.

Forbes Clan of Six said...

I have worked with all 3 of my children and it is so hard to leave them everyday. I still get butterflies in my tummy when it is time to go home. I miss them all day.I think of all the things that I can be doing with them and being envolved more. I feel I don't spend enough time with them. You are making the right choice. You will be a wonderful mom. Your feelings are normal. Love you Amber

Bonnie and Jim said...

You are a wonderful person and have so much to offer your daughter. Make new friends, schedule play dates, and teach her all the wonderful things you have learned in life. You have a lot to teach both your daughter and other people.