Monday, October 19, 2009

Mean Mrs. Hadlow

Mrs. Hadlow sounds so weird to me. I'm not Mrs. Hadlow, I'm just "Sara"! Late last school year I decided I'd sign up to be a substitute teacher for the Davis School District so that I could occasionally earn us a few extra dollars. My mom only works Tuesdays and Thursdays so I can only do it certain days and I generally don't like to take last minute assignments so I honestly haven't done it very much. I think I did it twice before school got out in June and thus far I've only done one full day and one 1-hr day(which was sweet!). Lucky for me my mother in law Bonnie is the head secretary at Meadowbrook Elem. here in Bountiful so she has been able to hook me up a few times. I feel bad for not taking more assignments but it's hard to take morning of assignments with Kate and I'm also kinda picky on where I'm willing to go. It's so weird to hear the kids call me Mrs. Hadlow though, sometimes I forget that they're talking to me. Today I was mean Mrs. Hadlow and held the kids two minutes after school. Every time they got too noisy in class I would start a stop watch and that's how much time they had accrued. Then two students were throwing paper airplanes and one of them hit me (hello!) so they got to stay a total of 5 minutes.


Elementary school kids are funny. Kids are so A.D.D. sometimes. We'll spend a half an hour doing 5 or 6 math problems that should seriously take 5 or 6 minutes. I feel like I'm a broken record telling them to shush and do their work. I swear unless you do the work as a class up on the board half the students get preoccupied with talking to their neighbor or playing with junk in their desk. Then there is always at least one kid in the class that has special classes they go to or they go to different teachers for "reading" or "writing" and sometimes I don't know if they are lying to me just to go wander the halls or if they're telling the truth so I let them go and pray they aren't lying to me to go hide a bomb in the bathroom or something.

3 comments:

Bonnie and Jim said...

I'm so glad you come to my school. I have to say it's a little stange hearing Mrs. Hadlow is subbing in Mrs. Yoho's class.

Unknown said...

Sara, children don't own bombs, at least they shouldn't!

Dustin said...

If it helps, I've always thought of you as "Mean Mrs. Hadlow"