Monday, October 5, 2009

Running

So I'll be honest, I think about running a lot. For me running is an escape and a way to push myself physically. I think physical challenges are really all I have going for me right now. Taking care of a baby doesn't really challenge me mentally....maybe emotionally somedays but for the most part I think Kate and I have a system that seems to be working for both of us so its not so much an emotional thing anymore either. The chores can be brutal. It always feel like I clean the house and within an hour hurricane Kate has come through again. I have no idea how many loads of laundry I do each week, or how many times I empty garbage cans or empty and load the dishwasher or how many toys I pick up each day or how many children's books we read but it can seriously numb your brain sometimes. I love her to death and obviously I'll always choose to be home with my kids as long as I can but I do miss having an actual job. I miss the interaction and the variety of tasks and projects and the feeling like you've accomplished something that day. I go in spurts of when and how much I think about it and the last couple of days I've been missing it. I think this is why I'm so devoted to running, because I don't have a job that's just my own that challenges me, but...running is all me. When I run I actually feel like I've done something good for the day. Nobody else can do it for me. I used to think you can't declare yourself a runner unless you compete in marathons but I've changed my mind. I've never competed in a marathon and I don't know if I ever will but I've decided I'm a runner, I want to be a runner. I have a hard time coming up with reasons why it's worth paying somebody else so I can go run miles and miles when I can run for free. When you're on our budget an $85 entry fee is a weeks worth of groceries and I just can't justify it.

3 comments:

Joyous Journal said...

That's just fine running like you do. You are in your own space doing something for you and no one else. Good for you.

Bonnie and Jim said...

Running is a great release. You're also a great mother.

Tom Dearden said...

And now for another point of view... running together with a bunch of other people that love running and have come together for a race is very fun. And if you want to enter races I'll be happy to pay your entry fee. I love running by myself AND I love running in races. They're different each with its own reward.