This is what I usually see when I look out my living room window. Are those OUR cars you ask?No, they aren't.
These two cars belong to our neighbor to the North. He also owns a red pick up truck and two motorcycles. Of course the motorcycles are in the garage but everything else stays outside all summer long. At least one of his vehicles is parked in front of our house at any given moment. The beautiful white car has been parked in that exact spot since late June. I've called the city and they clearly didn't do anything. So I gussied up some courage. Knocked on my neighbors door and politely asked, "Can we discuss the car situation?" He responds with, "What car situation?" So I say, "Is there a reason your cars are parked in front of our house consistently?" He says, "Because it's public property, your property line ends at the sidewalk." I say, "I understand that, and once in a while is fine, but the white car has been there over a month." He says, "It's broken down, as soon as I fix it, I can move it but I intend to park wherever I want because the street is public property." I say, "So you aren't willing to park in front of your own house?" He says something like, "I'll park wherever I want and if you don't like it too bad." Conversation ends and his door closes.
So I furiously walk back home, flip open the phone book, look up the non-emergency police department and fully intended to call them tomorrow because I've heard rumor that West Bountiful has an ordinance against broken down cars left on the street. I wanted that sucker towed. I don't care where it goes, just not in front of my house anymore!!
A few minutes go by and I get a knock on the door. My neighbor moved his yellow car to his driveway and asked for Keith's help to move the white car to in front of his house when Keith comes home. I say, "Keith might not be home until 8:30 or 9:00, do you still want him to come over?" He says, "Yes, it'll be cooler then anyway." He starts to walk away and I say, "Thank you for moving it, I appreciate it."
A few more minute go by and I get another knock on the door. The neighbor explains some story about how he got that car from his work, it was a stolen car, something about the ignition and the keys. His key wouldn't work, something was wrong with the ignition, but he tried his wife's key and it started right up and he moved it over. He then apologized for his behavior and said he was rude and he was sorry. I said that's fine, thank you for moving them, I really appreciate it.
I'm not trying to make enemies with my neighbors. Why can't we just live in peace without parking our crap in front of our neighbors house for weeks on end? Is that too much to ask? Hopefully we can both just live in peace and keep our crap to ourselves.
These two cars belong to our neighbor to the North. He also owns a red pick up truck and two motorcycles. Of course the motorcycles are in the garage but everything else stays outside all summer long. At least one of his vehicles is parked in front of our house at any given moment. The beautiful white car has been parked in that exact spot since late June. I've called the city and they clearly didn't do anything. So I gussied up some courage. Knocked on my neighbors door and politely asked, "Can we discuss the car situation?" He responds with, "What car situation?" So I say, "Is there a reason your cars are parked in front of our house consistently?" He says, "Because it's public property, your property line ends at the sidewalk." I say, "I understand that, and once in a while is fine, but the white car has been there over a month." He says, "It's broken down, as soon as I fix it, I can move it but I intend to park wherever I want because the street is public property." I say, "So you aren't willing to park in front of your own house?" He says something like, "I'll park wherever I want and if you don't like it too bad." Conversation ends and his door closes.
So I furiously walk back home, flip open the phone book, look up the non-emergency police department and fully intended to call them tomorrow because I've heard rumor that West Bountiful has an ordinance against broken down cars left on the street. I wanted that sucker towed. I don't care where it goes, just not in front of my house anymore!!
A few minutes go by and I get a knock on the door. My neighbor moved his yellow car to his driveway and asked for Keith's help to move the white car to in front of his house when Keith comes home. I say, "Keith might not be home until 8:30 or 9:00, do you still want him to come over?" He says, "Yes, it'll be cooler then anyway." He starts to walk away and I say, "Thank you for moving it, I appreciate it."
A few more minute go by and I get another knock on the door. The neighbor explains some story about how he got that car from his work, it was a stolen car, something about the ignition and the keys. His key wouldn't work, something was wrong with the ignition, but he tried his wife's key and it started right up and he moved it over. He then apologized for his behavior and said he was rude and he was sorry. I said that's fine, thank you for moving them, I really appreciate it.
I'm not trying to make enemies with my neighbors. Why can't we just live in peace without parking our crap in front of our neighbors house for weeks on end? Is that too much to ask? Hopefully we can both just live in peace and keep our crap to ourselves.





3 comments:
You go Sara. I'm so proud of you. I'll call you next time I need a complaint handled. What a good HR person you are. I'm glad he appologized to you, and you kept your cool!!!!
Do you want to come and ask my neighbors to stop cooking curry? I so badly want to go over to them and be like I can smell your food in my bathroom sometimes and I'm pregnant and it makes me more nauseous than I am. But how can you tell someone to not cook food in their own place?
Watch out Gephart! Sara Hadlow is on a role. Good job for achieving your without losing your cool. That took a lot of guts!.
BTW -the car down our street is gone too. Good Karma!
Mom
Post a Comment