Friday, June 20, 2008

Dearden vs Hadlow

So I was thinking about this this morning while I was getting ready and I decided I'd blog about it. Of all the names I've ever come accross Dearden and Hadlow seem to be pretty simple names right? Easy to spell, spelled exactly like they sound, easy to say, not complicated at all. Well over the years they seem to be more difficult than one would expect.

Lets start with Dearden. I was at the eye doctor last Friday and on a form it asks who referred you. Chris had gone to see him before and really liked him so that's why I went to go see this specific doctor. So I listed 'Chris Dearden' as the referral source. When the doctor was reviewing the forms he was like "oh, great you were referred. I'll have to send Chris Duerden a thank you card." That's right, he didn't say Dearden, he said it, the cursed Duerden that we always seem to get and I will never understand why. Maybe its that dang appliance store in Bountiful. Can't tell you how many times I've been asked if I'm related or if my parents own that store. They say it in a way that ryhmes with bourbon. And I don't understand this for a couple of reasons. First of all there is no O or U in the name. Second if you just look at it, it seems obvious how it's pronounced. Lets break it out. First you have Dear. Everybody knows how to say that, it's like how you would pronounce it if you were writing a Dear John letter. Next you have den, that's simple too! So then you put them together Dear-den, say it with me Dearden...

Lets move on to Hadlow. Again a very simple name, spelled exactly like it sounds. I can't tell you how many times people butcher this. People think I'm either saying Hadley, Hadler or Hablow. So now I always just spell it right after I say it. I say Sara, S-a-r-a, Hadlow, H-a-d as in dog, l-o-w.

7 comments:

Lacey said...

LOL! I feel your pain. But, I don't understand why people can't say Dearden and Hadlow! For crying out loud. I've been called everything from Golez, Gomez, Gutierez, and Gals...oh, even Guerrero! Can you believe it? I never say my last name either. I just spell both right away. And then I get a funny look like "hmm..interesting last name, you don't look mexican." But, it's German...I just laugh.

Bonnie and Jim said...

Well Sara, I see your frustrations. I too have been asked so many times how to spell Hadlow I just spell it for them. Haacke was even worse. I can't even begin to tell you how it was butchered. Well, welcome to the family.
Love you
Bonnie

Zack Family said...

Ok, Let me just tell you I had to always spell my last name, ALWAYS! It hard to pronounce clearly huh? I feel ya! But I still get it with my married last name, because its a first name! I still have to spell it out especially so they get it spelled right with the "K" not an "H". Lucky us huh!

Daniel and Whitney said...

haha I totally know how you feel about Hadlow, I was so happy to marry a Smith, people could acutally say my name! I felt like I was dumb when I said Hadlow cuz no one could understand or spell such an easy name!!

Anonymous said...

Uh I get it for MOON! How on earth would you spell Moon any other way? Once I tell them they always feel like the dumbest people on earth, as they should feel that way!

Ash said...

funny how people are. I always have to say green like the color. or they'll put an e on the end.

Jamie Hadlow said...

I go through the same exact thing! I hate it. People think you are saying your last name wrong or something. I'll say Hadlow, and they repeat something totally random back to me. I always have to spell it too, and we still bills and stuff with random last names on it. Lots of Hablow's, even some Harlow's. Then there's always the Hadley interpretation...gotta love it. Have you noticed the more you say Hadlow, the harder it is to say? When I first married Ryan he always had a hard time pronouncing Hadlow, and I thought it was easy. Now I struggle pronouncing it too!