Monday, June 23, 2008

Ugh...work

Do you ever go through periods where you just hate your job and everybody annoys you? I'm in one of the periods right now. I think a big contributing factor is that I'm pregnant. Lately I just don't want to go to work and everybody here annoys me because they don't have their act together so it makes my job more difficult. The biggest pet peeve of mine is that HR is the default for anything that nobody knows who else to go to for. It's always random stuff that I'm not really involved in so I have to figure out who is. I also get to be the company messenger on EVERYTHING so I email out messages to everybody and I swear 50% of the time I'm not involved with the project so of course I get all the questions that come back and I simply just have to forward them on to whoever sent me the email to send out to everybody. Even if I say contact so and so in the email - people don't read. We put restrictions on who can send company wide emails. It makes sense as to why, you don't want everybody to email out but I've become the default messenger and it gets old.

Keith and I are unsure as to whether I'll be going back to work after. We honestly probably won't know until I start maternity leave and have to live a month or two without my paycheck. I go back and forth depending on the day. I would love to not have to worry about work outside of the home and focus my attention where I think the Lord would prefer I be, but it would be a big leap of faith for us to eliminate my entire income. It also makes me nervous to not work. Since my senior year in high school I've always had a full-time job. It just seems really scary to remove yourself from the working world and totally rely on someone else for your financial security. Plus I know its a heavy burden on Keith for him to be the only provider for us. At least with two people if something happens you can rely on the other one for a bit. With only one income I'm not sure that we'd be able to keep our slush fund for those rainy days.

3 comments:

Zack Family said...

Hey, It is a scary decison but just know like you said that is where the Lord wants you to be and you will be blessed for it! Its only been a few weeks for us with me not working and its been awesome. We havent really noticed yet the difference.

Its so hard to go back to work after maternity leave but just stay strong if you do and know that you will be home one day with that baby! Keith will do what he needs to to make it happen.

I had to wait 1 1/2 years to be home but I feel way blessed to be able to do it now rather then later on. Its amazing how busy your days are being home with them too.

Good luck with what you guys decide but for sure see how it goes when your home for those few months. Im excited to see this baby!!!

Lacey said...

I agree. I've had jobs since forever, but once I had Coleman HE became my job. Somedays I wish I could go work because it would be a welcomed break, but I know that Chris and I rely on the Lord for support. It's not just Keith that you'll be relying on for support but also Heavenly Father. Your blessings will be great if you are willing to sacrifice. Staying home is a responsible thing to do. If you do decide to go back to work it will be the right decision and things will work out. If you decide to stay home, that will be the right decision and things will work out. It mainly depends on how much give and take, and need your family has. But I'll just add my support to you trying out the stay at home mom job. This day and age needs committed moms to nurture their children as much as possible.

Ashlin said...

Hey lady, I hear you on the not knowing whether or not to work after a child. Jesse and I aren't there yet, but we still talk about it. Wouldn't it be great if you could get paid for being an at-home mom?