Datamark (the company I work for) was a company sponsor and rest stop for the Multiple Sclerosis MS 150 Bike Ride in Logan this year. It was a busy weekend but ended up being a lot of fun. Since I'm the head of the "Party Planning Committee" as Keith likes to call it (really it's the Charity Committee), I was in charge of organizing the rest stop for Datamark. We were the 3rd stop on the 100 mile route on Saturday. Luckily we had enough volunteers that Keith and I weren't alone in this process. Which would've sucked, being pregnant I'm not supposed to lift heavy items and it required a lot of manual labor this weekend.
Friday I didn't go into the office, instead I ran errands getting supplies and a cargo van to take up to Logan. If you have never driven a cargo van, it can be a challenge. You have blind spots because there are no side windows so you just have to pray that no one is behind you when you back up. I actually had to drive up to Logan all by my lonesome. When I was there I was able to scope out the fairgrounds a bit and get organized. I then had to drive over to Sam's to pick up our many pallets of snacks. Later that evening all the Datamark volunteers and riders (about 20 total) had dinner together. After dinner Keith and I went off with our friends McKinsie and Zach (McKinsie works at Datamark as well) and went and got some ice cream and went to the store to pick up a couple more supplies for Saturday. Most of the volunteers and riders camped at the Fairgrounds but Keith and I stayed in a rinky dink hotel, the lovely Econolodge. Even booking 5 months in advance, that's all that was left! I may as well have slept on top of a rock. So needless to say I didn't sleep much Friday night.
Saturday we woke up bright and early at 5 am and headed to our rest stop at Trenton City Park (about 25 miles north of Logan) at about 5:30. We got there a little after 6 am and set up all the tables and snacks. They also supplied us with ice, coolers and jugs of water and powdered Powerade mix. This is where the heavy lifting came into play and I relied on everyone else to move stuff around. I felt bad, I pretty much had to just tell everyone what to do since I couldn't do much of the lifting myself. After a long and busy day of serving 3,000+ riders we saw the last rider cross our stop at about 12:30. We then had to inventory everything we had left and take it back to the Fairgrounds. After we were done dropping everything off Keith and I were able to depart Logan at about 1:30. We got home close to 3 and I slept for a few hours. Saturday night we just chilled and rested.
Overall it was a lot of fun, more fun than I thought it was going to be. It was really fun to see my coworkers in our awesome Datamark Team Jerseys. My dad actually participated and finished the entire 100 mile route! It was an event that we had been planning all year and I was totally stressing about it, but it was really nice to have it play out so smoothly, we didn't have any problems and I'm really appreciative of all the help we had, I would not have survived on my own.
So sorry I don't have pictures, I did leave the camera sitting on the bed at home...:(
Friday I didn't go into the office, instead I ran errands getting supplies and a cargo van to take up to Logan. If you have never driven a cargo van, it can be a challenge. You have blind spots because there are no side windows so you just have to pray that no one is behind you when you back up. I actually had to drive up to Logan all by my lonesome. When I was there I was able to scope out the fairgrounds a bit and get organized. I then had to drive over to Sam's to pick up our many pallets of snacks. Later that evening all the Datamark volunteers and riders (about 20 total) had dinner together. After dinner Keith and I went off with our friends McKinsie and Zach (McKinsie works at Datamark as well) and went and got some ice cream and went to the store to pick up a couple more supplies for Saturday. Most of the volunteers and riders camped at the Fairgrounds but Keith and I stayed in a rinky dink hotel, the lovely Econolodge. Even booking 5 months in advance, that's all that was left! I may as well have slept on top of a rock. So needless to say I didn't sleep much Friday night.
Saturday we woke up bright and early at 5 am and headed to our rest stop at Trenton City Park (about 25 miles north of Logan) at about 5:30. We got there a little after 6 am and set up all the tables and snacks. They also supplied us with ice, coolers and jugs of water and powdered Powerade mix. This is where the heavy lifting came into play and I relied on everyone else to move stuff around. I felt bad, I pretty much had to just tell everyone what to do since I couldn't do much of the lifting myself. After a long and busy day of serving 3,000+ riders we saw the last rider cross our stop at about 12:30. We then had to inventory everything we had left and take it back to the Fairgrounds. After we were done dropping everything off Keith and I were able to depart Logan at about 1:30. We got home close to 3 and I slept for a few hours. Saturday night we just chilled and rested.
Overall it was a lot of fun, more fun than I thought it was going to be. It was really fun to see my coworkers in our awesome Datamark Team Jerseys. My dad actually participated and finished the entire 100 mile route! It was an event that we had been planning all year and I was totally stressing about it, but it was really nice to have it play out so smoothly, we didn't have any problems and I'm really appreciative of all the help we had, I would not have survived on my own.
So sorry I don't have pictures, I did leave the camera sitting on the bed at home...:(
Found some pictures from other coworkers:





0 comments:
Post a Comment